DigitasLBi has appointed 15+ year industry veteran John McDonald to the role of EVP/Group Account Director. John will be based in New York, heading up the American Express account, and report to Laurent Ezekiel, Managing Director, New York Region, & Global Client Services Director. John will also sit on DigitasLBi’s New York ELT (Executive Leadership Team), which Ezekiel heads up.
– Industry Triple Threat: John has worked client-side, agency-side, and in the startup world
– Career start: Ogilvy London, Graduate trainee to Account Director
– Next move: Ogilvy New York, Executive Marketing Director, heading up the British Airways, FM Global, and Thinkorswim (a TD Ameritrade company) accounts
– Client-side move, 2011: British Airways, VP of Marketing
– WPP Global Client Team Leader: Team United Airlines, one of WPP’s largest integrated accounts
– Most recent post: Co-Founder, xCheck — a software start-up for the Airline and Hospitality industry
– Award-winning and business-driven campaigns for British Airways:
– ‘Visit Mum’:
– Successfully won market share and substantially grew revenues from North America to India by double digits.
– Most awarded travel marketing campaign of 2014, finalist for the Grand Effie and winner of a Gold Effie, among many others.
– Large scale brand and influencer program, aiming to reinvigorate BA’s reputation and grow business with technology and media sectors in the US. Included the creation of the first “innovation lab in the sky,” bringing together 100 entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and academics on a chartered flight from Silicon Valley to the UK to connect the next generation of talented innovators to civic and commercial opportunities around the world.
– Winner of numerous awards, including PRWeek’s Business-to-Business Campaign of the year, a Bronze Lion, and Silver ECHO. Reinvigorated BA’s brand reputation and became a global platform and new way of thinking for the business.
“John is a brilliant, inspiring leader who will take us to a new level. His mix of media, ad tech, and creative expertise make him the ideal match for the agency. He has a ‘get it done’ attitude, and his start-up, client-side, and agency experience will bring innovative solutions for our clients at American Express and teams,” says Laurent Ezekiel, Managing Director, New York Region, & Global Client Services Director.